The ruins at Weoley Castle are over 700 years old and are the remains of the moated medieval manor house that once stood here.
The site has been inhabited from the 12th century and, according to the Doomsday Book, was part of the estates of William Fitz Ansculf.
Excavations have revealed the wealthy status of the castle’s occupants.
Finds have included glass from Syria and a range of kitchen equipment. Some of the objects can be seen at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery.
Weoley changed hands several times between 1485 and 1531 when it began to fall into disrepair. In the centuries that followed, stone from the castle was removed to build a nearby farm and the Dudley no.2 canal.
Today the site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument of national importance, which means it is legally protected from future development or damage.
See some what Weoley Castle looks like on our Flickr photo stream.
Ruins can be viewed from the viewing platform. Direct access to the actual ruins and our NEW community education centre is available via one of our event days or for groups and schools by a pre-booked guided tour.
Weoley Castle is right at the heart of a major residential area just of the B4121 near Bartley Green. There is plenty of on street parking directly outside the gates.
The number 29 bus runs straight past the ruins on Alwold Road but the 21 and 46 also stop very close by.
Tel: +44 121 464 2193
For events at Weoley Castle please visit the Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery website.