Helping those in rent arrears

Cllr Sharon Thompson, cabinet member for homes and neighbourhoods, talks about helping those in rent arrears.

As Cabinet Member for Homes and Neighbourhoods I know only too well how hard it has been for many families to continue with their rent payments over the last year. The pandemic has not just devastated lives but also pushed people into uncertainty as many have lost jobs or been put on furlough, leaving them struggling to make ends meet.

With much more time being spent at home there has been increased gas and electric bills for us all and additional food shopping, particularly for those with children. Over the last year I have spoken with lots of families who have told me how challenging it has been to manage their money, particularly if they are on low incomes or have large financial commitments.

As a council we have tried to stay in touch with as many of our tenants as possible and sign-posted those struggling, to advice and support where we can. I am also aware of many other private landlords and Housing Associations who have done the same. However, there will be many people across the city who are unsure of where to go for help, particularly when it comes to rent arrears. I know that if you have fallen behind it can become incredibly overwhelming to start to work through getting back on track. I would urge you to not bury your head in the sand or panic – tackle this head on! It can be hard to talk about money but if you’re struggling to pay your rent or worried about your finances the good news is that support is on hand. To help you we have produced a leaflet which gives details of the advice that is available including a list of contacts and some helpful tips for managing your money. Download the leaflet.

On Monday 31 May the national eviction ban is being lifted and the minimum eviction notice periods is being cut from six months to four. That means it is more important than ever to get help now if you are in arrears. If you are a Birmingham City Council, Housing Association, or private tenant, there are specialist teams available to help you put together repayment plans and help you find out if you eligible for any other financial support.

If you are a Council Tenant call 0121 675 2006 or scan the QR code on the leaflet with your phone. If you would prefer to talk to someone in person you can access one of advice surgeries.

This blog was posted on 18 May 2021.

Share and Enjoy:These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.


The blog of Birmingham City Council

Recent posts



Social Links