Overview of government grants
Last updated: 11 January 2021
The Government have announced new support for businesses in relation to National Lockdown.
We have received in excess of 10,000 grant applications for the LRGS Open, Closed, Sector and ARG grant schemes. We are busy processing these applications for the various schemes but due to the volume and popularity of the scheme this is a time consuming exercise. Please be patient and rest assured we are working hard to process these grant payments as quickly as possible.
The following grants are available:
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Open)
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed)
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Sector)
- Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG)
In order to simplify the process for applicants, we will be using one application form which will include questions relevant to all four grants. This information will then be used to determine what grant(s) businesses are eligible to receive.
Businesses will need to register for a BRUM account to apply for a grant, Create an account if you don't already have one.
If you already have a BRUM account, you don’t need to register again or change it to your business address. You can still apply for a grant and as you go through the form it will capture your business address.
You can use either your personal email address or your business address.
The name of your business may not appear in the look up and so please use your postal address to search when creating a BRUM account.
When registering for a BRUM account, you will be sent an email to validate your email address and so remember to check your SPAM or Junk folders.
Benefits of a BRUM account
- Having a BRUM account will enable us to link to any previous applications for the Small Business Grant and the Discretionary Grant schemes and will mean we can process the application quicker
- You will be able to see and keep track of any grant payments made in your BRUM account
- As part of this process, we will determine which grant(s) your business is eligible for
- Any future grant entitlements, as a result of future restrictions, will also be administered through this process, so you only need to register once and apply once.
- You will have access to your Business Rates account
- You will be able to view and receive your bills online
Please note that any grant award must comply with EU law on state aid.
State aid is generally prohibited by EU rules. Any assistance you have received, or are due to receive, from a public body may count as de minimis state aid. This could be any aid, grant or support from central, regional or devolved governments, agencies, or a local authority.
The application form will require confirmation that the applicant has not received any other de minimis State Aid.
For further information please visit the following link: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/state-aid.
These rules will continue to apply following the UK’s departure from the EU until such time as the law is changed.