Iron Lane junction improvements roadworks began in March 2019, and are expected to end in late 2020.
McPhillips Ltd are doing this work on behalf of Birmingham City Council.
Emergency contact during the works:
- McPhillips Ltd 24 hour emergency contact: 01952 670440
- Birmingham City Council emergency contact: 0121 303 4149
Key improvements are:
- Widening of Station Road / Stechford Lane (between Burney Lane and Flaxley Road) to a dual carriageway
- New road bridge over the River Cole
- Changes to Burney Lane / Stechford Lane / Station Road roundabout. This includes a new dedicated slip lane from Stechford Lane to Station Road, to allow traffic heading towards Stechford to bypass the roundabout.
- Replacement of the existing signal controlled gyratory system at Station Road / Flaxley Road / Iron Lane with two new roundabout junctions. One of the roundabouts will form the access to Flaxley Parkway and the Stechford Retail Park
- Five new toucan crossings (for cyclists and pedestrians) will be created
During the roadworks, temporary lane closures will be needed to allow construction activity to be carried out safely; most of this will happen at night. Narrow traffic lanes will operate during the day when required; daytime lane closures would only be applied when and where unavoidable.
Some pedestrian diversions will also be needed during the work, and bus stop locations may need to be temporarily changed.
Access to properties and businesses will be maintained through the work.
- Full business case for Iron Lane project
- Side Roads Order
- National Planning Policy Framework
- Birmingham Development Plan
- Birmingham Development Plan Policies Map
- Birmingham Connected White Paper
- Birmingham Cycle Revolution Funding Application 2013
- Project Definition Document (report to Cabinet)
- Stechford Business Case
- Full Business Case (report to Cabinet)
- Consultation Documents
- Local Growth Fund Approval Letter
- Planning Decision Document
- Compulsory Purchase Order statement of case
- Plans for works, showing different phases of the project
- Traffic modelling report
- Junction improvements letter
- Correspondence schedule
- Stechford Retail Park parking survey
- Existing site photographs
- Retail Park landscaping plan
- Extracts from Birmingham Unitary Development Plan
- Birmingham Car Parking Guidelines
- Method statement for works at Stechford Retail Park
Some of the money for this scheme has been provided by the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Fund, as part of the Midlands Engine.