rating button
Council tax | Birmingham City Council

Scheduled maintenance

Due to essential maintenance some of our forms will be unavailable today (28 January 2020) from 6:30pm to 10pm. We apologise for any inconvenience. Coronavirus (COVID-19) National lockdown: Stay at Home

Council tax

Council Tax Support 

You may be entitled to up to 100% Council Tax Support if you or your partner is:

  • A pensioner
  • Entitled to a disability premium or disabled child premium
  • Entitled to Employment Support Allowance and who also receives a qualifying disability related benefit
  • Receiving a carer’s premium
  • Receiving a war disablement pension, war widow’s pension or war widower’s pension
  • Caring for a child dependant under the age of 6.

Read further information on the Council Tax Support scheme.

You may be also be eligible to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Extra council tax financial support

Some residents may be eligible for further financial support with their Council Tax as the Council has been allocated £17 million from the government’s Council Tax hardship fund for financial year 2020-21. This fund aims to provide further financial support to help economically vulnerable people and households most effected by coronavirus.

The government has said it can be used to reduce council tax bills of working age people already receiving council tax support by at least £150 for this financial year (2020 to 2021). This will take effect from 1 April 2020. This affects you if you are already receiving council tax support or are applying for the first time.

If your bill for this year is less than £150, you will now pay nothing until your circumstances change. If you are applying for the first time this will also apply to you.

If you are applying for the first time refer to the further information on the Council Tax Support scheme.

The Council is in the process of looking at the detail and how these additional reductions can be applied to bills as soon as possible. If you are already in receipt of Council Tax Support you do not need to contact the Council; we will issue a revised council tax bill as soon as we are able to.

Due to the Coronavirus these changes and new bills may take a while to come through, please bear with us.

Government advice and support is changing fast and we are looking at what extra support we may be able to offer. This page will be updated if any of the above changes.

If you are in other financial difficulties, there are organisations that might be able to help you.

Also read our further advice on Council Tax, Housing Benefits or Universal Credit or paying your council rent.