Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Coronavirus remains a serious health risk. It’s important to stay cautious and help protect yourself and others. Please continue to follow national government advice.

Council tax

Extra council tax financial support

Some residents may be eligible for further financial support with their Council Tax as the Council has been allocated £14.5 million from the government’s Council Tax hardship fund for financial year 2021 to 2022. This fund aims to provide further financial support to help economically vulnerable people and households most effected by coronavirus.

The government has said it can be used to reduce council tax bills of working age people already receiving council tax support by at least £275 for this financial year (2021 to 2022). This will take effect from 1 April 2021. This affects you if you are already receiving council tax support or are applying for the first time.

If your bill for this year is less than £275, you will now pay nothing until your circumstances change. If you are applying for the first time this will also apply to you.

If you are applying for the first time refer to the further information on the Council Tax Support scheme.

Government advice and support is changing fast and we are looking at what extra support we may be able to offer. This page will be updated if any of the above changes.

Council Tax Support 

You may be entitled to up to 100% Council Tax Support if you or your partner is:

  • A pensioner
  • Entitled to a disability premium or disabled child premium
  • Entitled to Employment Support Allowance and who also receives a qualifying disability related benefit
  • Receiving a carer’s premium
  • Receiving a war disablement pension, war widow’s pension or war widower’s pension
  • Caring for a child dependant under the age of 6.

Read further information on the Council Tax Support scheme.

You may be also be eligible to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

If you are in other financial difficulties, there are organisations that might be able to help you.

Also read our further advice on Council Tax, Housing Benefits or Universal Credit or paying your council rent.

rating button