COVID-19 risk assessments
As an employer you must protect people from any potential harm. As COVID-19 is a risk to your workforce, you must take reasonable steps to protect your workers and others. This is called a COVID-19 risk assessment and it’ll help you manage risk and protect people.
- identify what work activity or situations might cause transmission of the virus
- think about who could be at risk (is anyone in your workforce clinically vulnerable or high risk?)
- decide how likely it is that someone could be exposed
- act to remove the activity or situation or, if this isn’t possible, control the risk
If you have fewer than five employees you don’t legally have to write anything down.
HSE have produced guidance to help you work safely (be COVID-secure) and manage the risk associated with running your business at this time.
It includes practical measures you can take, for example:
- putting in place social distancing measures
- staggering shifts and lunchbreaks
- providing additional hand washing facilities and hand sanitizer station(s)
- wearing masks in communal areas
- having a one-way system around the building/site
- promoting the safest way to get into work (i.e. personal car or cycling)
- asking your workforce to take regular rapid Covid tests so nobody unknowingly spreads the virus around the workplace
For more information and advice on how to complete your risk assessment, please see the following resources: