Discretionary grant for businesses
The Government has announced that it will provide a Discretionary Payment Scheme for small businesses and Birmingham City Council is now reviewing the process for determining eligible grants.
By the beginning of June, we expect to have a system in place for those businesses which meet the criteria, to make an application for this financial support. Until then, we are not able to receive or process any applications and would ask businesses to refrain from contacting us, as this putting further strain on resources that are working hard to maintain essential council services.
We will announce further details about the application process on this page in due course; in the meantime, we recommend that that businesses familiarise themselves with the draft eligibility criteria below.
Local authorities are being tasked with prioritising the following types of businesses for grants from within this funding:
- Small businesses in shared offices or other flexible workspaces. (Examples could include units in industrial parks, science parks and incubators, which do not have their own business rates assessment).
- Regular market traders who do not have their own business rates assessment.
- Bed and breakfasts which pay Council Tax instead of business rates.
- Charity properties in receipt of charitable business rates relief, which would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rates Relief or Rural Rate Relief.
These grants can only go to businesses:
- with ongoing fixed building-related costs.
- which can demonstrate that they have suffered a significant fall in income due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.
- with fewer than 50 employees.
- that were trading on 11 March 2020.
In addition, businesses which are eligible for the existing grant schemes or Self-employed Income Support Scheme are not eligible. It is likely that this draft criteria may change.
However, until detailed guidance is available we cannot provide you with any further information.
Please be patient and look out for further information before contacting us further.
If you have already applied for the Business Rates Grant, and have received your money, you will not be eligible for this additional scheme.