rating button
New coronavirus restrictions in Birmingham – frequently asked questions | Birmingham City Council

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check out the latest advice, service disruptions, information and support about Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest updates

New coronavirus restrictions in Birmingham – frequently asked questions

Last updated Monday 21 September at 5pm

What are the new restrictions on households in Birmingham?

From Tuesday 15 September 2020, Birmingham residents will not be able to mix with people they don’t live with, in their homes or gardens.

Your household is defined as the people you live with and any support bubble.

Households that have formed a support bubble with another single adult household behave as if everyone lives in the same house.

These new restrictions are coming into effect for Birmingham, to reduce the coronavirus rates of infection, which is rising fast.

What is a support bubble?

A support bubble is a close support network between a household with only one adult in the home (known as a single-adult household) and one other household of any size.

Once you’re in a support bubble, you can think of yourself as being in a single household with people from the other household. It means you can have close contact with that household as if they were members of your own household.

Once you make a support bubble, you should not change who is in your bubble.

Can I still go to a hospitality venue like a pub or a restaurant and meet up with family or friends that don’t live with me?

Yes, pubs and restaurants have to have Covid-safety risk assessments in place and must be managing the space to keep you safe. From Monday 14 September, the rule of six applies for meeting up OUTSIDE private homes and gardens in Birmingham, this is the same as the rest of the country.

Why can I go to the workplace, school, or hospitality venues, but I can’t visit other households?

We understand that it can be frustrating to be able to go to these certain places but not visit your family and friends within their household.

However, the reason that these restrictions have come in place is that the data shows that the infection rate has risen mainly due to social interactions, particularly in private household gatherings.

In places such as shops, cafes and restaurants, there are strict measures in place to ensure safety, whereas it is much easier to cause a spread in someone’s house where people are less vigilant.

Can I still meet other households in outdoor public spaces e.g. local parks?

Yes, these rules only apply to households, including indoors and gardens. However, you must still be in line with the maximum numbers stated in the national guidelines.

Can I go to meet a friend or relative in their home in an area not subject to these restrictions?

No – and they cannot come to your home either.

Can I still travel to work or school?

People living inside and outside of these areas can continue to travel for work or school. Workplaces and schools themselves should also be implementing secure measures.

How are community activities like support groups, clubs and classes affected?

Activities organised by community and voluntary organisations, including physical activity, education, providing support to vulnerable people, youth groups, charitable and voluntary work, are allowed to exceed the limit of 6 people based on their individual Covid risk assessment. However, particular care must be taken to stringently follow guidance on social distancing, handwashing and the taking of attendees’ details for purposes of contact tracing.

Can I have someone in my house (or go into someone’s house) to do repairs or other work?

You can go to other people’s homes for work purposes as long as you follow national guidance on how to work safely there. This includes limiting contact with customers, explaining your safety measures to them, making sure your staff are properly trained and understand what they need to do and avoiding crowded areas. Check before you go if anyone in your customers’ house has symptoms.

Can I go to a wedding or a funeral?

Weddings, civil partnership ceremonies, and funerals (including ceremonies at crematoriums) can still go ahead if they comply with the guidance and venue capacity, these are limited to a maximum number of 30 people current in national guidelines.

People living in Birmingham can travel to attend a wedding, civil partnership ceremony, or funeral, but they must not meet with another household in a private home or garden.

Can I go to a place of worship?

You may attend a Mosque, Church, Synagogue, Temple, and other place of worship, but you should socially distance from people outside of your household. Please also follow guidance that these establishments have set out.

Can businesses that visit other households continue?

Businesses can continue as normal as per national current guidance if they are Covid safe.

Does this affect education?

All schools, colleges and other educational establishments should remain open and continue to allow all their students to attend.

Do pupils now need to wear face coverings in schools?

The only difference in education settings as a result of the updated rules is that where pupils in year 7 and above are educated, face coverings should be worn by adults and pupils when moving around the premises, outside of classrooms, such as in corridors and communal areas where social distancing cannot easily be maintained.

Can I still move to university outside Birmingham, even though I will be living with other people?

If you move away from home to start university then your new accommodation will be your new place of residence, and you will therefore be subject to any restrictions in that area (and of course national ones) rather than your current home.

What if my university says I can’t move to their student accommodation because I currently live in Birmingham?

If your university suggests you can’t move into accommodation, you must go back to them and remind them that you will no longer be a Birmingham resident, and that they can check with government regulations if in doubt.

Does this affect childcare?

All nurseries, childminders and breakfast/after-school clubs should remain open and continue to allow all their children and young people to attend.

What about if a relative provides childcare for me?

People looking after children under the age of 14 years or vulnerable adults are exempt from the ban when it’s necessary for caring purposes. This does not include playdates or parties.

Is this a local lockdown?

No, these restrictions only apply to the mixing of households in private households and gardens.

Is shielding being reintroduced for the vulnerable in the city?

No. These new restrictions only apply to the mixing of households in private households and gardens.

Can I visit another household to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person?

You may visit another household to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person- for example to provide personal care support for a disabled person.

But it is important that you limit the visit to provide the care and it may be helpful to look at the guidelines for people going into other households for work purposes for some tips on how to keep the person you provide care for safe.

What do I do if I see people breaking the rules?

If you encounter individuals breaching the restrictions, you can fill out a reporting breach of restrictions form with West Midlands Police.

If you are concerned that a business or venue is not following the Government's regulations, you can anonymously report them to the council.

How long can we expect these restrictions to go on for?

These restrictions will go on for as long as is needed to bring down the coronavirus rates of infection. They will be reviewed regularly with Government.

More information?

The Government website has its own page dedicated to the restrictions in Birmingham.