Ready to evacuate
There may be times when due to an emergency you may self-evacuate, or be requested to evacuate your home eg flooding, fire or a nearby industrial accident. Having items prepared and ready to go will save you time and result in a calm evacuation for you and your family. You may have pre-planned where to go in the event of an evacuation such as to friends or family, but if not you may find yourself heading to a rest centre provided by your local authority (council).
A typical supplies list for evacuating from your home for 72 hours might include:
- Water for drinking and washing – five litres per person per day in easily carried bottles
- Food - non-perishable eg canned food (don’t forget the manual can opener!), dried foods and energy bars etc.
- Eating utensils/dishes/mugs
- Torch (battery or wind-up) with spare batteries
- Medication and a first aid kit
- Washing, shaving and sanitary supplies
- A whistle (to attract attention)
- Mobile phone and charger
- Cash - small notes (£5 and £10) and loose change
- Credit and debit cards
- A copy of your household emergency plan
- Important documents – insurance policies; wills; birth and marriage certificates; passport; medical records; family pictures, prescriptions etc.
- Items for your pets eg for dogs, a collar and lead, routine medication, water/water bowl, food/food bowl, poo bags, pet carrier and a favourite toy
- Weather dependent – raincoat, over trousers and boots, sun cream and sunglasses
- Change of clothing for each family member
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each family member