Fizz Free February 2020
Starting on Saturday 1 February Birmingham City Council is encouraging citizens, families, and organisations to go Fizz Free for February.
Fizzy drinks are the largest single source of sugar for children aged 11 to 18. They provide an average of 29% of daily sugar intake with most containing 6 or more teaspoons of sugar per can.
Fizz Free February is a great way to reduce your sugar intake by cutting out fizzy drinks. By committing to going fizz free for the entire month of February it will make easier to cut down on fizzy drinks for the rest of the year.
Launched by Southwark Council in 2018 as a way to reduce fizzy drinks consumption across the London borough, SUGAR SMART (Sustain) joined forces with Southwark in 2019 to take the campaign national, and we saw lots of local areas and thousands of people get involved.
This year Birmingham is stepping up to join the campaign as part of the Birmingham Food Conversations which launched in October 2019. Another part of the Birmingham Food Conversation is the Birmingham Food Survey where you can tell us your views, beliefs and thoughts on how we create a healthy food city in Birmingham.
During the campaign we are working with the NHS, schools and community groups to raise awareness and you can sign the pledge and join the campaign at any point during February. Look out for the hashtag #TalkFoodBrum to follow the campaign and stay connected to what’s going on in Birmingham.
Three great reasons to go Fizz Free
- you can save £438 a year if you stopped drinking one bottle of soft drink, per day, for a year
- drinking just one 330ml can of fizzy drink a day could add up to over a stone weight gain per year
- tooth decay is the leading cause for hospitalisation among five to nine year olds in the UK
To support you taking action we have produced the following resources:
- FFF Pledge Poster - sign up to the pledge and print off your poster
- FFF Pledge Certificate - sign up to the pledge and share it on social media
- FFF Sponsorship Form - why not get sponsored to go Fizz Free and raise money for a local charity
- Fizz Free Feb Star Chart - a chart to help track your success
- FFF Certificate of Achievement - to recognise your success
Additional resources available for download are: