Key announcements

Our council tax and benefits online systems and forms may be unavailable on Saturday 21 May between 8am and 2pm due to planned maintenance. Details of how to offer support to Ukraine residents fleeing war, and where to find information and advice are on our City of Sanctuary webpage

What are my options?

For emergency assistance please ring the police on 999. For non-emergency advice from the Police, you can ring 101.

Get Help

If you are experiencing any type of domestic abuse, including controlling, bullying, threatening or violent behaviour, help is available to you. Anyone suffering from domestic abuse can call Birmingham and Solihull Women’s Aid helpline on 0808 800 0028.

You can also call the National Domestic Abuse Helpline which is free to call on 0808 2000 247 (24 hours) or the Men’s Advice Line on 0808 801 0327.

Domestic abuse can be present in any household, it can affect people with a disability, people from BAME communities, and citizens that identify as LGBT. Help is available for everyone. Read about Bharosa domestic abuse service for ethnic minority women. Visit the Birmingham LGBT website for other advice and support.

You can talk confidentially to someone about your situation and find out what your options are.

Staying at home and making it safe

Depending on your circumstances, we may be able to help you with advice or assistance to remove and/or exclude perpetrators of domestic abuse from your home. This may include helping you to obtain a court order.

We may also be able to secure your home through our ‘Sanctuary Scheme’. This can include providing new locks, door viewers, door chains, fire safety equipment, a safe ‘sanctuary’ room, and a mobile phone. Our staff can tell you more about this.

Refuge/Temporary accommodation

If you are immediately homeless and have nowhere else to go, you may be eligible for emergency accommodation such as a hostel, refuge, or bed and breakfast accommodation while we establish how we can help you.

Some refuge providers can be contacted directly and don’t need a referral from the council. Some will take a referral from the Council or the Council may offer you alternative temporary accommodation. Please see below for advice on getting homeless help from the Council.

Leaving home immediately

If you feel you are at risk of harm and need to leave your home, try to arrange temporary housing from the council or another organisation before you leave. If you are in immediate danger then leave right away.

If possible take some essentials with you such as a change of clothes, toiletries, and any medication you need to take regularly. Try to bring important items such as your passport, bank and credit cards and mobile phone.

Do not make a decision to give up your home permanently until you have obtained legal advice. You should arrange to speak to you a housing adviser so that all your options can be properly considered.

Get homelessness help from the council

You can apply to the council’s housing options team as a homeless person if you can't stay in your home. The council has to give you advice about finding somewhere to live.

If the council has a duty to find you somewhere to live you will be asked to provide details of your situation. You can take a friend or an adviser with you for support.

Our advisors will look at all of your options to find the best possible help for you.

To request homeless help from the council or ring 0121 303 7410.

rating button