What is domestic abuse?
For emergency assistance please ring the police on 999. For non-emergency advice from the Police you can ring 101.
Domestic abuse includes any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse. The abuse can be psychological, physical, social, financial, or emotional.
Domestic abuse can happen between two people who are or were intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality.
If you are in fear of a partner, ex-partner or member of your family, you might be experiencing domestic abuse. Do they often...
- Call you names and make you feel bad about yourself?
- Make you afraid by threatening you or your children?
- Behave violently towards you?
- Stop you seeing your friends or family?
- Keep you without money?
- Harm you or make you feel you could be seriously harmed?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes you might be experiencing domestic abuse but the list above is not exhaustive and there are lots of forms of domestic abuse.