Selly Oak New Road highway improvement scheme
Selly Oak New Road (SONR) Phase 1B scheme is the final section of the overall SONR project, which consists of highways improvements to the Selly Oak Triangle, made up of Bristol Road, Harborne Lane and Chapel Lane. The scheme will deliver improved access to key development sites, including the Life Sciences Campus on the Birmingham Battery site, and support the regeneration of Bournbrook / Selly Oak centre.
Construction begins on 15 April 2019 and is expected to be completed in summer 2020.
Key improvements on completion of the works at the Selly Oak Triangle include:
- Making Harborne Lane (between the Bristol Road junction and the junction with Chapel Lane) into a two-way dual carriageway.
- Re-configuring Chapel Lane to make it two-way and introducing a mini-roundabout at the Battery Retail Park entrance.
- Widening the footway along the north side of Bristol Road between the Harborne Lane and Chapel Lane junctions.
- Upgrade of bus, pedestrian and cyclist facilities.
- When Harborne Lane and Chapel Lane become two-way, it will no longer be possible to turn right into Harborne Lane from Bristol Road, or left from Harborne Lane onto Bristol Road (except buses).
While works take place
Birmingham City Council has appointed McPhillips (Wellington) Ltd to carry out the works. Most of the works in 2019 will be carried during the daytime. There will be works on the road which will restrict traffic flow - these works will be carried out during off-peak periods (9:30am to 3:30, Mondays to Fridays). During school holiday periods, there may be times when night time works are necessary along with traffic flow restrictions during both peak and off peak periods.
One of the first stages of work will be works on the site of the old Sainsbury’s store requiring the footpaths around the old store to be closed. Throughout the works pedestrian and cyclist routes including crossing points will be maintained but some local adjustments will be necessary to facilitate the works. Access to properties will be maintained during the works.
Find out more
A 'Meet the Contractor' event' took place in January 2019 giving residents and stakeholders the opportunity to view the finalised plans for the scheme and talk to the design and construction teams. Should you require any further information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case of an emergency please telephone 0121 303 4149 (24 hour emergency hotline).