Selly Oak New Road highway improvement scheme
The final section of the Selly Oak New Road (SONR) project is now complete.
The works included highway improvements to the Selly Oak Triangle, made up of Bristol Road, Harborne Lane and Chapel Lane.
The scheme has provided improved access to key development sites, including the Life Sciences Campus on the Birmingham Battery site, and enables the regeneration of Bournbrook / Selly Oak centre.
Construction began in April 2019. All works are now complete.
Key improvements that have been made:
- Harborne Lane (between the Bristol Road junction and the junction with Chapel Lane) has been made into a two-way dual carriageway.
- Chapel Lane has been re-configured to be two-way and a mini-roundabout has been introduced at the Battery Retail Park entrance
- The footpath along the north side of Bristol Road between the Harborne Lane and Chapel Lane junctions has been widened
- Bus, pedestrian and cyclist facilities have been upgraded
- With Harborne Lane and Chapel Lane two-way, it is no longer possible to turn right into Harborne Lane from Bristol Road, or left From Harborne onto Bristol Road (except buses).
In case of an emergency please telephone 0121 303 4149 (24 hour emergency hotline).