Dudley Road transport improvements
We want to improve the A457 Dudley Road, near to Birmingham City Hospital, to reduce traffic congestion through junctions and improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
This is an area of the city where we expect a lot of changes to happen in the next few years and for travel patterns to change.
Most of City Hospital is expected to move to a new site nearby (in Smethwick) with about 750 new homes planned for the current hospital land. In addition, developments on the Icknield Port and Soho Loop sites, to the south of Dudley Road will incorporate approximately 1,200 and 700 new homes respectively.
The aim of these proposals is to improve the flow of people and goods through the area and to allow for the expected increase in travel demand.
What are we proposing?
- The A457 Dudley Road will be widened to include sections of dual carriageway.
- There will be improvements to the signalised junctions of Dudley Road with Winson Green Road and Western Road and the junction of Winson Green Road and Heath Street.
- New signalised junctions will be created at Dudley Road/Heath Street and Steward Street/Dudley Road.
- All improvements include upgraded pedestrian crossing facilities. Toucan crossings for pedestrians and cyclists will be added at Dudley Road/Winson Green Road, opposite the hospital and across the north side of the Dudley Road/Western Road junction.
- Cycling and pedestrian facilities will be provided on the north side of Dudley Road. This will be a mix of a segregated cycling route next to the pedestrian footpath, and a shared cycling and walking path where there isn't space for separate facilities.
Have your say
You can view detailed plans, see details of drop in events and give your views on the Dudley Road consultation page.
The consultation is open from 1 October until 31 October 2018.