Battery Way extension
- Construction is being carried out by Amey.
- Main construction works are now underway for the new road and the junction upgrade of Reddings Lane/Olton Boulevard West.
- Temporary traffic lights are in place to facilitate works at the junction of Reddings Lane/Olton Boulevard West and will remain until the junction becomes permanently signalised.
Battery Way extension will extend the existing Battery Way, between A41 Warwick Road and Reddings Lane, to provide access to new development sites and reduce congestion on Weston Lane and other local roads. The extension will mostly be built on old industrial land.
The junction of Reddings Lane and Olton Boulevard West will be changed from a mini-roundabout to a crossroads with traffic lights and pedestrian and cycling crossing points.
In February 2015 we asked local residents and businesses for their views on the proposed design, and we held an exhibition which was attended by members of the design team to allow people to ask us questions. 98% of people who responded support the scheme. A meet the contractor event was held in May 2018.
Planned works for Battery Way extension include:
- A new single carriageway road linking A41 Warwick Road to Reddings Lane. The road will include shared pedestrian and cycle tracks on both sides, along with new landscaping features. The new Battery Way is scheduled to open to traffic in summer 2019.
- Replacement of the existing mini-roundabout at Reddings Lane / Olton Boulevard West junction with a crossroads controlled by traffic signals. Signalisation of this junction is due to be completed in spring 2019.
- Pedestrian and cycling crossing facilities on all arms of the new junction
- 49 new trees along the Battery Way extension.
The capital cost of this scheme is mostly funded by the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Fund, along with partial funding through S106 planning agreements.