The full business case for this scheme was approved by Cabinet in May 2017. We are now working to acquire third party land and carry out ancillary highway works via a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) and associated Side Roads Order (SRO).
We received a number of objections to the CPO / SRO and were unsuccessful in getting the objections withdrawn in time to avoid a Public Local Inquiry. The Public Local Inquiry was held on 6 June 2018 where the City Council presented the case to the Government Inspector for the need for the CPO to be confirmed.
We are anticipating the outcome of the Public Inquiry to be made in October / November 2018, If the CPO is confirmed the works are planned to commence on site in January 2019, with an anticipated construction programme of 18 months.
You can view the associated documents that form part of the CPO/ SRO process on this website.
- Side Roads Order
- National Planning Policy Framework
- Birmingham Development Plan
- Birmingham Development Plan Policies Map
- Birmingham Connected White Paper
- Birmingham Cycle Revolution Funding Application 2013
- Project Definition Document (report to Cabinet)
- Stechford Business Case
- Full Business Case (report to Cabinet)
- Consultation Documents
- Local Growth Fund Approval Letter
- Planning Decision Document
- Compulsory Purchase Order statement of case
- Plans for works, showing different phases of the project
- Traffic modelling report
- Junction improvements letter
- Correspondence schedule
- Stechford Retail Park parking survey
- Existing site photographs
- Retail Park landscaping plan
- Extracts from Birmingham Unitary Development Plan
- Birmingham Car Parking Guidelines
- Method statement for works at Stechford Retail Park
Planned improvements include:
- Demolition of the Flaxley Road Snooker Hall (completed in November 2016)
- Widening of Station Road (between Burney Lane and Flaxley Road) to dual carriageway, including a new road bridge structure over the River Cole to allow for a dual carriageway section between Burney Lane Roundabout and new gyratory at the junction of Flaxley Road/Iron Lane/Station Road
- Modifications to Burney Lane/Stetchford Lane/Station Road roundabout including new dedicated slip lane from Stetchford Lane to Station Road
- Replacement of the existing signal controlled gyratory system at Station Road/Flaxley Road/Iron Lane with two new roundabout junctions
- New shared use and segregated cycle footways
- Five new pedestrian/cycle (Toucan) crossings and relocation and upgrading to a Toucan of an existing pedestrian crossing
- Provision to allow for a left turn into Stetchford Road from Stetchford Lane
- A new access to proposed development land
- A one way slip road from Albert Road onto Station Road (northbound), creation of a parking bay outside properties 51 to 61 Station Road and a service road for properties 16 to 30 Flaxley Road
- Revised bus stop locations and a new bus stop on Station Road opposite the Stetchford Retail Park
Some of the money for this scheme has been provided by the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Fund, as part of the Midlands Engine.