Births, deaths and migration
- The population in Birmingham grew by 108,000 between 2001 and 2013, mainly due to the difference between births and deaths.
- We consistently have more people leaving Birmingham rather than moving in. However, migration losses have been smaller in recent years due to people coming to live in the city from overseas.
- The top three destinations for Birmingham residents moving out of the city are Solihull, Sandwell and Bromsgrove.
- There were 17,421 live births to mothers resident in Birmingham in 2013, down 1.9% from 2012 but up 20.8% since 2001.
- There were 8,418 deaths registered in Birmingham in 2013, up 2.3% from 2012, but down 14.2% since 2001.
- 45% (106,272) of Birmingham Residents born abroad arrived in the UK in the last decade.