Births, deaths and migration
- the population in Birmingham grew by 103,800 between 2006 and 2016, mainly due to the difference between births and deaths.
- we consistently have more people leaving Birmingham rather than moving in. However, migration losses have been smaller in recent years due to people coming to live in the city from overseas.
- the top three destinations for Birmingham residents moving out of the city are Solihull, Sandwell and Bromsgrove
- there were 17,404 Live births to mothers resident in Birmingham in 2016, up 3.4% from 2015
- there were 8,426 death registrations in Birmingham in 2016, this is down 2.5% from 2015
- 45% (106,272) of Birmingham residents born abroad arrived in the UK in the last decade