rating button
Rent owed after you move out | End your council home tenancy | Birmingham City Council

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

National lockdown: Stay at Home Check out our coronavirus updates and advice.

Rent owed after you move out

If you still owe rent when you move out, we call this 'former tenancy arrears'.

When you give notice that you will be moving out, you should make arrangements to pay off all arrears, debt and rent due up until the date you move out.

If you can't pay the money you owe, contact the Rent Service to talk about the options available to you.

If you owe rent or any other outstanding charges when you leave your council home, you will be downgraded on the Council's housing waiting list. This may also affect your ability to be rehoused by other local authorities and housing associations. We will continue to pursue tenants who have left their council home with outstanding rent and other debts.