Register a death
During the COVID-19 pandemic, deaths are being registered remotely. All Medical Cause of death certificates must be scanned to us by the hospital or GP. Please use our online form to confirm your contact details. You will be contacted by telephone to complete the registration as soon as possible.
If you are deaf or hard of hearing and would like support in completing the registration please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you to agree how we can support you.
The death must be registered within 5 days of the death occurring, unless it has been referred to the coroner. If this has happened, we need to discuss the next steps with you in more detail. Please complete our coroner referral form to request a call back. There’s no charge for registering a death.
If you are unsure if the death took place in Birmingham you can check which register office covers the area.
You can register the death if you’re:
- a relative of the deceased (the person who died)
- If you are a relative of the deceased you will not be able to register a death if you are self-isolating in line with Government advice.
- If the deceased was exposure to COVID-19 and you have been in contact with them, you should be self-isolating in line with Government advice.
- In these circumstances arrangements must be made for an alternative qualified informant to collect the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death from the hospital or G.P. and attend the Register Office to register the death.
- an alternative qualified informant could be another relative who is not self-isolating
- someone present at the death
- an administrator from the hospital
- the person making arrangements with the funeral directors
A maximum of two people should attend to register plus an interpreter if required
When the death has been registered, a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (green form) which gives permission for burial or cremation will be sent to your nominated Funeral Director.
You can order death certificates online for £11 each. Payment can be made by debit or credit card.
You can read more about registering a death on the Gov.uk website.
You can order extra copies of a death certificate online after registering.