How to get rating advice

If you require advice about whether to appeal against rateable values, you are advised to consult a reputable independent rating adviser.

Please take care as there are fraudsters operating in this area.

Members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation (IRRV) are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

Before employing a rating adviser, you should check that he or she has the both the necessary knowledge and expertise and appropriate indemnity insurance.

Be cautious of false or misleading claims. Some agents do not explain, for example, that a reduction on rateable value may not necessarily lead to a reduction in the amount of rates you will have to pay. This is because there are overriding limits on how much rates bills can change from year to year under the transitional relief scheme.

Please be careful before entering into any contract and get extra advice if necessary before you do. Remember that, no matter what, an advisor cannot guarantee reductions in rateable value. Reductions can only happen as the result of a valuation officer’s agreement or the decision of a valuation tribunal or higher court.

rating button