General Election Results - Thursday 12 December 2019.

Polling stations are closed. The results will be declared and announced once all the votes are counted. Check results here

Appealing your valuation or completion notice

Your rates bill is worked out based on the rateable value (RV) of your property.

The RV is not determined by the council but by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), an agency of HM Revenue & Customs.  The next valuation of property will be in 2017; new rates will take effect 1 April 2017.

You can check your RV in the VOA’s rating list.

Appealing your valuation

If you are not happy with the VOA’s decision you may be able to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service (VT).

You may wish to instruct a rating agent or surveyor to appeal on your behalf but they will charge you.

While your appeal is being considered you must still pay rates.

If there is an obvious irregularity in valuation and the Council feels certain that a value will be reduced, it may be possible to make an arrangement for payment to be made at a reduced rate until the matter is resolved.

Where a reduction in rateable value is backdated and overpaid rates are refunded by the Council, in certain circumstances interest may be payable on the sum involved.

Completion notices

A completion notice is a document that specifies the 'completion date' for a newly built property. It is the date on which the property is entered into the valuation list and starts to owe business rates (or Council Tax).

The council can issue a completion notice if it believes a property that is not in the valuation list can be completed within three months.

If you disagree with the date we have used contact us and we may agree to change it and issue a new notice.

If we cannot agree a date you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service (VT).

The VT will accept your appeal as long as:

  • It is a matter they are allowed by law to consider (i.e., related to a completion notice), AND
  • We have written to you no more than two months previously confirming our decision and your right of appeal, OR
  • It is more than four months since you made a written request that we reconsider the matter and we have not responded to you in writing.

The VT cannot make a decision in relation to:

  • The manner in which the council has handled the matter, for instance the advice that you were given or delays in replying to you.

You may wish to instruct an agent or surveyor to appeal on your behalf but they will charge you.

The council does not endorse particular companies or individuals but you are advised to deal only with qualified members of the IRRV or RICS.

rating button