Reception and primary application timelines
2018 to 2019 - Finding a school
Read more about the process for the school admissions arrangements for Birmingham
- Primary School admission
- The process for offering school places in Birmingham
- Open Sessions Autumn Term 2017 for admission Reception Class 2018
Please see attached list of infant and primary school open sessions dates and times. These are a good opportunity for you to get a feel for each school, seeing things for yourself and talking to teachers and current pupils. You are strongly encouraged to attend before submitting your Reception class application by the final closing date of 15 January 2018.
If you live in Birmingham and your child attends a community or private nursery in the city, we will send details to your nursery to distribute to you about applying for Reception places.
- We will contact you by email with details of which infant, junior or primary school has been offered to your child.
- Our offer day emails are sent on Monday 16 April 2018.
- You must be in receipt of your formal notification letter or email before contacting the Council. We will be unable to inform you which infant, junior or primary school place has been offered to your child by phone or other forms of contact until Thursday 19 April 2018.
- We ask you to let us know if you accept our offer: Accepting our offer will not affect your child’s waiting list position for any of your higher preference schools or your right of appeal.
- If you do not receive an offer of a place at your higher preference schools your child’s name will automatically be placed on the waiting lists for those schools.
- If your child has not been offered a place at any of the schools you listed as preferences; this will be because the school(s) received more applications than there were places available and other children more fully met the admission criteria. You do have a right to appeal this decision, but please do check that your child met all of the admissions criteria before submitting an appeal.
- Waiting lists have to be compiled in the same order as the oversubscription criteria, eg siblings first, etc.
- Late applicants must also added according to this order, this means your child’s name can go down as well as up.
- Having a place on the waiting list is no guarantee that a place will become available.
- Because of the movement in the first few weeks after 18 April, we don’t disclose waiting list order. We’ll contact you if a place becomes available for your child.
- After 9 May 2018, you may contact the Children’s Advice Service on 0121 303 1888 who will let you know who holds the waiting list for the school you want (either School Admissions or the school).
- Let us know if you accept our offer by 5 May 2018. If you don’t reply by this date you may lose the place your child’s been offered.
The school year begins in September. Your child’s school will contact you before then with details and useful information.