Apply for a secondary school (year 7) place
If you live in Birmingham you can apply online for a Secondary school Year 7 place for Birmingham schools. If you live outside of Birmingham and want to apply for a Birmingham school read more about applying to a different local authority.
Step 1 - Find a school
Step 2 - Find out about a school
- If you have not done so already, please read our guide to finding a school for many important considerations.
- Visit the school - most schools have open days and evenings throughout September.
- Read the Secondary school admission arrangements - how realistic is it that your child would be offered a place at that school?
- Some schools (mainly faith schools and some academies) will ask you to send supplementary information directly to them, visit the school's own website for details and the supplementary information form.
- Think about how your child would travel to school.
- You have until 31 October 2017 to research and decide which 6 secondary schools to list as preferences on your application form.
Step 3 - Apply online
- Register or sign in to your online account.
- Read or download this guide to completing the online form
- Complete your application form online and save this.
- You can change your preference form online up to 11:59pm on 31 October 2017, but remember to resubmit your form.
- You cannot change your preferences after the closing date, except in exceptional circumstances.
- If needed for any of the schools you've listed, send the supplementary information form directly to the school.
- Remember to select the Submit button to submit your application form.
- You'll receive an email immediately after submitting that your application form has been received. If you don't see this email, and you've looked in your spam folder, please contact us.