Finding a school
The deadline for Year 7 admissions for September 2018 has now closed. Information about applying for a Year 7 place for September 2019 will be posted here before September 2018.
To avoid disappointment when places are offered, we can't emphasise enough how important it is to research the admissions criteria for each school you're interested in.
- Secondary School admissions criteria information. Also visit the schools' own websites.
- Search for schools in Birmingham
Carefully read each school's admissions criteria. Would your child have met the admissions criteria last year, or in the past 3 years? If there are more applications than places available, schools will use set rules (called oversubscription criteria) to decide who should be offered a place.
To avoid disappointment, be realistic with the 6 secondary schools you list as preferences.
- Most schools have open days and eveningsthroughout September so you can look round, or contact the school to arrange a visit to hear about what they offer and how they can support your child.
- If your child has special educational needs or a disability (SEND) consider whether the schools are suitable for their specific educational needs. Talk to school staff at the open days or evenings. You may also find this Secondary Transfer booklet useful.
- Think about how your child would travel to the school. It is your responsibility to make sure your child can get to and from school.
- Faith schools will ask you to complete a supplementary information form in addition to the the online preference form. The supplementary information form is available from the school.
- You can list up to 6 different schools as preferences which can include schools outside of Birmingham.
- Read the schools' recent Ofsted report.
- Compare schools performance on the Gov.uk website.
Grammar schools selective test results will be available on 12 October 2018
- If you have applied for grammar schools; to avoid disappointment we strongly recommend that you do not submit your online application until you know the results of your child's grammar schools test.
- It is essential that once you have received your test score that if you want to apply for a grammar school that you list it as one of your preferences in your online application.
- Don't lose the opportunity to list other school preferences before knowing the results from the selective test.
- Visit our places at grammar schools pages for more details.
Completing your preference form online
- Sign in or register for an online school admissions account.
- Read or download this guide to completing the online form
- Only after completing all of your research in to suitable schools, list up to six different secondary schools on your form.
- List these in your preferred order.
- You can change your preference form online up to 11:59pm on 31 October 2018, but remember to resubmit your form.
- You cannot change your preferences after the closing date, except in exceptional circumstances.
- Remember to give the name and date of birth of brothers or sisters (siblings) who are already attending a school you're applying for, and who will still be there in September 2019.
- It's important to include at least one school where you think you have a good chance of getting a place, such as a nearby school where your child would have got in under the distance criterion in the past. Listing a local school may also give your child the option to walk there.
- Do not list the same school more than once; this will not improve your chances of a space at that school.
- Do not list only schools that are outside of the school cut-off distances to where you live. This will reduce your chances of getting any of your preferred schools.
- Do not list only grammar schools on your preference form. If you have applied to grammar schools, we strongly recommend that you wait for the results of the selective tests on 13 October 2018 before submitting your form.
- Do not use this form if you're applying for an independent (private) school. Apply directly to that school.
- Remember to complete all sections of the form.
- If needed for the schools you've listed, send supplementary information directly to the school.
- Submit your form: Closing date 31 October 2018
Remember: To avoid disappointment, be realistic in the 6 schools you list on your preference form. Listing only schools that are outside the school cut-off distances to where you live will reduce your chances of getting any of your preferred schools.