Documents to support a benefit claim

When you make an online claim for benefits you will be asked questions about your circumstances and you could be asked to provide evidence.

You can now upload evidence to support your new claim as you go through the form, where the ‘Add Evidence’ button appears.

We can accept electronic versions of your evidence using your smartphone, tablet or files from your computer/laptop. We will accept photos of your documents using a smartphone or tablet. If you use this method please make sure all the details can be clearly seen and the full document is visible on the photo. If they are not, your claim will be delayed whilst we ask for further proofs to be provided.

You can also add documents using files saved on your computer/laptop, for example by scanning your documents. If you have access to a scanner that can scan multiple documents to one file then this is recommended as it will help speed up your application.  The maximum size for an individual file is 5MB. 

We can accept images in the following formats pdf, jpg, jpeg, tif, tiff, png and bmp.

Please be aware that we still require to see original evidence of identity and national insurance number for you (and your partner), please do not upload this type of evidence on your claim. 

We may be able to check our internal records for this type of evidence if you are receiving any of the following benefits:

  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit

If your claim is classed as a complex case, we may still need to see original proofs by post or at one of the locations listed below. If you do not have the evidence to hand or can not upload, you should still complete the online form and just answer the questions as accurately as possible. If you are asked to provide evidence after completing the application you can provide this at a later date but within one month of making the claim.  Please make sure your proof of evidence is up to date.

If your benefit was recently stopped and you provide the evidence needed within one month we may be able to start you benefits again immediately. If you do not provide evidence within one month of your claim stopping you will need to start the process again by making a new claim. You can ask us to consider backdating your claim if you have a good reason.

Once we have received your claim, we will now only write to you if you need to provide further documents to support your claim.

If we do write to you to provide further documents they can be taken to the following locations:

Please check the opening times before you make your visit.

Acocks Green library Northfield library
Balsall Heath library Perry Common library
Birchfield library Shard End library
Druids Heath library South Yardley library
Erdington library Small Heath library
Frankley library Sparkhill library
Hall Green library Spring Hill library
Handsworth library Walmley library
Harborne library Ward End library
Kings Heath library Weoley Castle library
Kings Norton library Yardley Wood library
Kingstanding library  

Self employed

If you are self employed you will need to complete a self-employed claim form. You also need to provide a copy of your most recent income and expenditure accounts. If you do not have any prepared accounts or you have not been trading for a full year, you will need to fill part 3 of the form.

Most proof of documents will be returned to you by second class post, but those such as passports, driving licences, and marriage or birth certificates will be sent by recorded delivery.