Supplier skills programme (SSP) eligibility for existing SMEs
You must not be a charity or a not-for-profit organisation
To be considered for SSP support you must be able to answer yes to each of the points below by the time you submit your application form:
- Are you an SME actively trading for at least 6 months or more? (the definition of an SME is that your business has between 1 and 249 employees, which have an annual turnover not exceeding EUR 50 million, and or an annual balance sheet total not exceeding EUR 43 million and be less than 25% owned by another company or combination of other companies).
- Can you deliver your project in a 4 month period following receipt of your offer of grant? For high value, more complex projects, project timescales are subject to negotiation.
- Do you pay your business rates to one of the local authorities based in the More Developed Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership area? (ie Birmingham City Council, Bromsgrove District Council, Redditch Borough Council, Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council or Wyre Forest District Council).
- You work in a sector where there is significant job replacement demand. (whilst SSP is open to all business sectors, we particularly welcome applications from the following sectors, HS2, Health and Social Care (particularly adult care), Transport and Logistics, Retail, Hospitality and Tourism, Construction and Infrastructure, Digital and Technology, Food and Drink and Emerging Technologies).
- Do you have cash match? Cash funding is the difference between the grant you are seeking and the remaining cost of your project. All applications must provide cash funding which can be sourced from the private sector, but not other Public Funds. Loans, overdrafts, savings or company funds are considered to be eligible cash match and these must be secured and in place prior to approval of an SSP grant.
- Can you obtain 3 comparable quotes* for the proposed project expenditure if between £1,000 to £24,999, or tender documentation when the project cost is above £25,000?
- Can you provide full financial accounts, or if you’ve only been trading for 6 months, robust management accounts?
- Can you provide a detailed proposed training plan?
*You are not required to provide comparative quotes if you are applying via the SSP Strategic Partners: Creative Alliance, Kaplan, Skills Training UK, Birmingham Adult Education Service, Make UK (EEF) and SMMT Industry Forum. If you are not utilising the services of one of the above Strategic Partners and your project expenditure is between £1,000 to £24,000, then you will need to provide 3 comparative quotes alongside your application.
Please note that quotes or tender documentation for project expenditure should not be from persons or businesses connected to your business, directors or shareholders.
If you answered yes to all of the above, then you are eligible for consideration and we recommend that you visit the SSP webpage for more information.
You may wish to contact the GBSLEP Growth Hub or one of our local SSP partners (contact details listed below) to discuss your project and seek advice on project costs before you make an application.
GBSLEP Growth Hub
0800 032 3488
Birmingham City Council
Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council
0121 704 6151
Bromsgrove District Council, Redditch Borough Council and Wyre Forest Council
0156 273 2174