Tell us if you change your name or address

Let us know if you change your name, address (this includes your billing address) so you pay the right amount of Council Tax.

Please have the following details to hand:

  • your Council Tax billing reference number.
  • the completion date(s) of any property sold or bought
  • the name of the person who has bought your previous property
  • your solicitor’s details, if relevant
  • your tenancy start and end dates, if renting
  • your landlord’s or managing agent’s details, if renting.

Do not notify us of a change of address more than 14 days before you are due to move.

If you are moving from one Birmingham address to another

We will close your old account and send you a bill for anything you still owe. If you have overpaid, we will transfer the credit to your new account. We will send you a new bill with a new account number.

You must make any payments using the bill for the new address as this will hold the new account number. The payment card you may have used at your previous address will no longer be valid.

If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit you will need to complete the Direct Debit form again, as we cannot use your bank details again without your authorisation and you will also be given a different account number for your new address.

If you are unsure whether Birmingham City Council is responsible for collecting Council Tax at your new address, please check the Valuation Office Agency’s website. You can then find out the charge for the current financial year visit the Council Tax bands and charges page.

If you are moving in or out of Birmingham

If you are moving in or out of Birmingham you will need to provide the following information:

  • the current address you live in
  • the new address you will be moving to
  • dates of when you will be moving in or out of Birmingham

Tell us if you change your name or address

We aim to respond to your changes within 14 days.