Birmingham City Council section 114 notice updates

To find out more about the section 114 notice, visit our section 114 page

Student Council Tax discount or exemption

You could be exempt from paying Council Tax if you are 

  • a full time student living in a property solely with other full time students
  • a full time student living in a property on your own

You could be entitled to a 25% discount on your Council Tax if all residents are full time students except one other adult who is not a student. If two or more non students occupy a property then there is no reduction. In most cases, it’s the people who are non students that are liable to pay the Council Tax.

A student’s non British partner or dependant and guests living with you under the Homes for Ukraine scheme are also not included when we count the number of adults living in your home. If any of the following circumstances apply to you, a member of your household or your property then you may able to claim a discount or exemption.

The following are not classed as students and are therefore liable for Council Tax:

  • people studying at evening classes or
  • courses taken in connection with a person's job, such as day release

Check if you qualify for a student reduction

If you already know what type of student you are and you qualify for a student reduction, follow the relevant heading below, that applies to you.

rating button