- Covid-19 (coronavirus) update
Due to COVID-19, visitors to cemeteries are reminded that they will still need to practice social distancing in-line with government guidelines.
There is a one way system in place.
Current opening hours Days Hours Weekdays excluding Wednesday 2:30pm to 7:30pm Wednesday 8:30am to 7:30pm Saturday and Sunday 10am to 5pm Opening hours for Eid, Wednesday 12 and Thursday 13 May Days Hours Wednesday and Thursday 9am to 7:30pm
- Handsworth cemetery
- 0121 464 0096
- General information
Handsworth cemetery is located in Handsworth, Birmingham.
The cemetery has a Grade I listed chapel that was designed and built in 1909 by architect J. Bidlake. The chapel can hold up to 150 mourners.
- CDs, tapes and an organ (this doesn’t include an organist) can be played in the chapel
- An extended burial service is available
- Burials can be accommodated at short notice
- Grave tending and flower services
- Memorial options
- Sundial plaques
- Temporary grave markers
- Wooden memorial benches
Find out more about buying grave markers and memorials.
- Available graves
- Adult graves for up to 2 full body burials are available in all the consecrated, Free Church, Roman Catholic and Muslim areas.
- Children’s graves are available in the Free Church and Muslim areas.
- Public burials in unmarked graves, where a plot hasn’t already been bought, are available in the Free Church or Muslim sections for both adults and children.
- Brick graves are available in the Free Church section for adults.
- Concrete chamber burials, where the coffin is sealed within the chamber without coming into contact with any soil, are available for both children and adults in the Muslim areas.