Adoption Support and Training
Dedicated support worker
You'll have your own support worker to advise and assist you until an Adoption Order is granted.
Plan of financial and practical support
Before the child is placed with you, we'll draw up a plan outlining any financial and practical support that you are entitled to.
A list of some of the support that you will have access to
- Advice from the duty helpline
- Ongoing life long access to our Adoption team for advice and consultation if you require this service on 0121 303 1010
- A 24-hour on-call advice and support service
- Further training on relevant subjects; eg: discussing adoption with your child
- Support with contact from our Contact and Letterbox workers
- Opportunities to meet socially with other adopters; eg: our annual adoption day, monthly coffee mornings with a crèche facility, support supper evenings and a developing programme of workshops, conferences and training on topics related to adoption
- An Adoption Support Services Adviser (ASSA) who will put you in touch with the relevant staff or services who might be able to help you
- Support and first year membership with Adoption UK and Pink Parents (where relevant).
Changes in your circumstances
If your circumstances change, you can be re-assessed for additional help and you could also approach an independent organisation such as Adoption UK which runs local support groups and offers further training. We may also refer you to Adoption Support Working Across the Midlands (ASWAM) or to the Child and Adolescent Mental Heath Service (CAMHS) where you would be given priority.
Everyone looking to adopt is required to undertake certain training modules as part of their assessment. Please do not be put off by this. Our training is specially designed to help you in everyday situations. Whilst it is very important, it isn't at all academic or stuffy. In fact, most people say that what they learned or discussed during training was very useful to them and stayed with them for the rest of their lives.
Contact Birmingham Adoption and Fostering Service.