Services for Education – The Music Service
The Music Service seeks to respond to the requirements of schools in extending and enhancing music education for all pupils. We aim to provide accessible and authentic musical pathways for all young people through:
- Instrumental and vocal teaching. We can provide specialist instrumental and vocal support on more than 35 instruments for pupils in groups, ranging from whole classes to individuals, from nursery to Year 13. We support musical learning in all styles of music – our most popular including western classical traditions and the world music styles of India and Africa.
- Whole Class Instrumental Teaching. This subsidised model of music provision now takes place in 176 schools, 320 classes every week, reaching more than 9,000 Y4 children. Supported with excellent IT resources, children learn to play together as a whole class.
- Free ensemble opportunities for young people of all abilities. Every year, each of our 70 ensembles perform in a comprehensive series of concerts at professional venues, including Symphony Hall, in over 20 gala concert events.
- Primary Classroom Music and advisory support. We providing advice on the design and delivery of National Curriculum Music, tailored to your school.
- A team of specialist teachers available to deliver the curriculum in your school
- A subsidised vocal strategy encouraging every school to be a singing school, aiding the acquisition and development of literacy and numeracy skills.
- Access to an online school curriculum (Charanga Musical School) with resources to deliver stimulating and enjoyable music lessons
- Bespoke performance events for academy chains, teaching alliances and consortia We are working in new ways, in close partnership with groups of schools to build bespoke events celebrating the musical achievements across a number of schools. Recent collaborations have showcased the work of the Whole Class Instrumental teaching in the Oasis Academies at Adrian Boult Hall, and a group of Sutton Coldfield primaries at Sutton Town Hall.
Head of Music : Ciaran O’Donnell
Tel: 0121 366 9953
Visit the Services for Education website for more information.