Permitted Development and Prior Approval
Shortcut to this page: www.birmingham.gov.uk/pdchanges
Changes have been made to permitted development (PD) for houses, schools, commercial and industrial sites with effect from 30 May 2013. These changes increase allowances or alter permitted changes of use, sometimes for a temporary period and sometimes for a limited time.
This is what it means
The general changes are set out below, although you will still need to let the Local Planning Authority know you intend to undertake these works through a prior approval system.
There are 6 key changes:
- There will be increased limits for home and business extensions.
- Premises in a B1 (a) office use will be able to change to C3 residential use, subject to prior approval covering flooding, highways and transport issues and contamination
- Premises in B1 (business), C1 (hotels), C2 (residential institutions), C2 a (secure residential institutions), and D2 (assembly and leisure) uses will be able to change to use permanently to state funded schools or registered day nurseries subject to prior approval covering highways and transport impacts and noise.
- Agricultural buildings under 500 m² will be able to change to a number of other uses (A1 (shops), A2 (financial and professional services), A3 (restaurants and cafes), B1 (business), B8 (storage or distribution), C1 (hotels) and D2 (assembly and leisure)). The building between 150 m² and 500 m² require prior approval covering flooding, highways and transport impacts, and noise implications.
- Non listed buildings with A1 (shops), A2 (financial and professional services), A3 (restaurants and cafes), A4 (drinking establishments), A5 (hot food takeaways), B1 (business), D1 (non-residential institutions), and D2 (assembly and leisure) uses will be permitted to change use for a period of two years to A1, A2, A3 and B1 uses, where the floor area is no more than 150 square metres, to help new and start-up businesses.
- There will be an increased threshold for business change of use. Thresholds will change from 235 m² to 500 m² of the permitted development. The changes of use from B1 (business) or B2 (industrial) to B8 (storage and distribution) and from B2 or B8 to B1.
The above is a basic summary of the changes which have taken place. You can find full details of Householder Permitted Development Changes and Commercial Permitted Development Changes on the Planning Portal website.
These extended permitted development rights relate to planning permission only and other consents such as building regulations, may still be required.