1810 map of Birmingham town and parish
This map of the town and parish of Birmingham was produced for the Commissioners of the Street Act in 1810. West is at the top of the map, north on the right-hand side. Birmingham grew rapidly through the nineteenth century, but its administrative boundaries were strictly limited for the next eighty years. Harborne [Harbourne] was in Staffordshire, and did not become part of Birmingham until it was transferred to Warwickshire in 1891. Handsworth (in Staffordshire), Aston and the area to the south of Birmingham officially became part of the city in 1911.