Birmingham City Council

Children's Rights and Participation (RAP)

This page is known as

RAP aims to OPTIMISE and EMPOWER children and young people’s involvement in both strategic and local decisions that affect their lives. We challenge and champion children and young people’s rights to ensure that when decisions are made they are involved, consulted and listened to.

  • RAP provides advocacy to Birmingham’s children in care and care leavers.
  • RAP provides advocacy visits to all children’s homes in Birmingham.
  • RAP supports and facilitates Birmingham's Children in Care Council.
  • RAP supports and facilitates Birmingham's children and young people’s parliament Voice is Power (VIP).
  • RAP supports and facilitates Birmingham's Young Disabled Champions.
  • RAP supports and facilitates Birmingham’s UKYP young people.

The purpose of the Rights and Participation service is to:

  • Ensure that the Birmingham Children and Young People’s Parliament (VIP) is implemented as part of a coherent structure, with a clear remit to develop the engagement and participation of all children and young people at a strategic level.
  • Develop a range of opportunities for children and young people to become involved in consultation and decision-making processes across all agencies and services.
  • Ensure that the Local Authority fulfils its obligations to establish an effective and representative Children in Care Council, in line with statutory requirements.
  • To ensure that children in care and care leavers have access to a children’s rights and advocacy service that supports the promotion of better outcomes and the improvement of services.

Children’s Rights and Advocacy

On the 16 December 1991, the United Kingdom adopted the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. This means that legally children and young people must be treated fairly.

Article 12 states that children have the right to say what they think should happen when adults are making decisions that affect them and to have their opinions taken into account

Birmingham City Council applies these rights in its work with children, young people and families. Under the Children Act 1989 and the Adoption and Children Act 2002 local authorities have a statutory responsibility to provide all children in care and care leavers with access to an advocate. The Rights and Participation advocates also adhere to the National Advocacy Standards 2002 to ensure that children and young people are better safeguarded and supported within a national framework.

An advocate from the Rights and Participation service can offer any child or young person in care or a care leaver:

  • advice on what your rights are and help you decide how they may be able to help you;
  • support you to ensure people listen to your wishes and feelings;
  • attend meetings with you or on your behalf, including reviews, meetings with your school and social worker;
  • support you to have your say about decisions that affect you;
  • give you information about other services or organizations that may be useful to you; and
  • support you to make a complaint or compliment.

You have the right to know:

  • why you are living away from home;
  • what plans are being made for you;
  • what Birmingham City Council has written about you on its files;
  • that you will be given somewhere safe to live; and
  • what you can expect from Birmingham City Council as your corporate parent

Children’s Homes visits

As well as individual advocacy, our advocates also visit all of the children’s homes every month. The advocates also work closely with the Reg 33 inspectors, ensuring that any issues children raise are dealt with in an appropriate and timely manner. A report is written each month summarizing the visits and sent to senior managers and the LSCB.

How to access the advocacy service

As long as you are in care or a care leaver you can contact the Rights and Participation service and request an advocate. This can be done by you, or on your behalf by a social worker, foster carer, teacher or anyone who knows you. The service is confidential and all advocates are trained to a national standard to ensure they can offer you the best service.

You can contact the service by phone: 0121 303 7217


Or you can write to us at: RAP, The Lighthouse, Alma Way, Birmingham, B19 2LN.

Now visit the Participation page.