Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Picture of a house

Birmingham Shared Lives

This page is easy to read

Easy to read symbol small

Group of people sitting on a sofa

What is Birmingham Shared Lives?

Birmingham Shared Lives used to be called the Birmingham Adult Placement Service. We can provide the following.

  • Long-term accommodation with care and support.

  • Short-term accommodation with care and support.

  • Day support (which allows an adult with a disability to spend time with an approved Shared Lives carer in their own home and in the community).

Group of people with different social care needs

Who is the service for?

We provide a home for people aged 18 and over who have a disability, and for older adults with care needs. You could live at the home or have day support.

Two people washing up

Being given keys to the front door of a house

How will my Shared Lives carer support me?

Your Shared Lives carer will support you with:

  • personal care, like washing and dressing
  • handling your money and
  • taking part in activities (for example, going shopping or going out for a meal).

Your carer will offer support and help with whatever you need. You will have your own bedroom, and will share the rest of the house. You can have a front door key if you want one.

Getting support from a carer to understand or choose something

Support to choose the things you would like to do

If we give you day support

Your carer will support you with activities you want to do or learn in the house such as:

  • washing
  • ironing
  • cooking
  • relaxing and
  • listening to music.

Your carer can also support you in the community to do what you want. For example, they can help you to:

  • go swimming
  • go to the cinema
  • go bowling
  • go to the library and
  • go to the shops or post office.

Two people shaking hands

How do I know I will like my carer?

Matching you with the right carer is very important. Everyone is different, so we will talk to you to find out the things that are important to you. Then we will try and find a carer to suit you.

We will arrange for you to spend some time with your carer before you move in or choose to have day support.

Picture of money

Do I have to pay?

There is a charge for using our service. The amount you will have to pay will depend on the sort of care you want to have. You will have to pay a different amount for long-term accommodation, short-term accommodation and day support.

Taking out some money to pay for something

How do I pay?

If you get money from Birmingham City Council to pay for your care, you can use your ‘individual budget’ to pay our charge.

An individual budget is money the council can give you if you have had an assessment that shows you need social care support.

Write a letter


How do I find out more about Birmingham Shared Lives?

If you think this service could be for you and you would like more information please contact us.

Birmingham Shared Lives
Registered Manager
Room 23
Southside Business Centre
249 Ladypool Road
B12 8LF

Phone: 0121 464 3164

Email: sharedlives@birmingham.gov.uk

How to get leaflets in another language, in large print, in Braille or on audio tape, MP3 or CD


If you would like a copy of any of our leaflets in another language, in large print, in Braille or on audio tape, MP3 or CD, please phone us on 0121 464 3123 or email ACCommunications@birmingham.gov.uk

The pictures in this leaflet and on this web page have been provided by CHANGE, an organisation of people with learning disabilities working for equal rights. Visit their website at http://www.changepeople.co.uk.

Find a website or send an email

Other pages

Birmingham Shared Lives Service

Person centred planning

Learning disability services

Other websites

Shared Lives Plus Information about Shared Lives schemes across the country