Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Council Tax – Change in Circumstances

If you move house or the composition of your household changes, you may need to tell us.

If you are the council tax payer or are in receipt of benefits and you change your name, address, or billing address you will need to tell us. If somebody moves in or out of the household, your entitlement to an exemption, discount, or benefit may change.

If you withhold information which affects the amount of council tax you have to pay or benefit you receive, you may be committing an offence.

Report change in circumstances
Notify us of a death
Benefits change in circumstances

Tell us about a change in circumstances using the link above.

You need to tell us about any of the following changes:

  • name
  • address (for further information see below)
  • billing address
  • household composition
  • property ownership

You will be asked to provide the following information:

  • name, address and contact details
  • type of change (see above)
  • in what capacity you are reporting this change (property owner, solicitor)
  • council tax billing reference number
  • name of council tax payer
  • billing address

Notify us of a death

If you have recently had a bereavement, firstly, we would like to express our condolences at this difficult time, you can notify us using the link above.

It will help to have the following information to hand:

  • the name of the deceased and their date of death
  • the executor or administrators’ details
  • the name and address of the solicitor dealing with the estate; and
  • the date probate or letters of administration were granted.

If the occupier or owner of a property dies, please refer to the council exemptions and discounts page, that explains how council tax is affected, so we can change your council tax payments if necessary.

If you would like to register a death please visit the register office page for further information.

If you are having problems paying your council tax always let us know.

Further information on the types of changes you must tell us include:

Change of address

Let us know straight away when you move home so you pay the right amount of council tax, using the button report change in circumstances

When you complete the ‘change in circumstance’ form, it will help if you have the following details to hand:

  • the completion date(s) of any property sold or bought
  • the name of the person who has bought your previous property
  • your tenancy start and end dates, if renting
  • your solicitor’s details
  • your landlord’s or managing agent’s details, if renting.

Do not notify us of a change of address more than 14 days before you are due to move.

If you are moving from one Birmingham address to another

If you are moving from another Birmingham address we will close your old account and send you a bill for anything you still owe. If you have overpaid, we will transfer the credit to your new account. We will send you a new bill with a new account number. It will tell you what your instalments will be and when you need to pay them. You must make any payments for your new address using the bill for the new address as this will hold the new account number. The payment card you may have used at your previous address will no longer be valid.

If you pay your council tax by Direct Debit you will need to to complete the Direct Debit form again, as we cannot use your bank details again without your authorisation and you will also be given a different account number for your new address.

If you are unsure whether Birmingham City Council is responsible for collecting council tax at your new address, please check the Valuation Office Agency’s website. You can then find out the charge for the current financial year visit the council tax bands and charges page.

If you are moving in or out of Birmingham

If you are moving in or out of Birmingham you will need to provide the following information:

  • the current address you live in
  • the new address you will be moving to
  • dates of when you will be moving in/out of Birmingham

Please email this information to email:counciltax@birmingham.gov.uk

We aim to respond to your e-mail within 14 days. At certain times of the year, due to high volumes of incoming correspondence, it is not always possible to meet this target. When this occurs, please be assured that we will respond to your enquiry in due course and your patience in these circumstances is appreciated.

Please make sure that you quote your ten-digit billing reference number on your correspondence in the subject heading.

Changes to your circumstances if you receive Discounts and Exemptions

If your circumstances have changed since you were awarded a discount or exemption we need to check whether you are still eligible.

Examples of possible changes include:

  • the number of adults occupying a property has changed
  • you have become a student and are not included; or
  • a child who was previously not included is now 18 years old.

Please use the Discounts/Exemptions Form to tell us of the change.

Other changes to your circumstances

You need to tell us of any changes to your or the members of your households’ circumstances.

For example:

  • you are still resident but ownership of the property has changed
  • you have bought or sold an unoccupied property
  • the tenancy of a property has changed
  • your name has changed due to marriage or divorce
  • your are subject to an attachment of earnings order and your employer has changed
  • deductions were being made from a state benefit but you are no longer entitled to claim; or
  • if someone has left the household, leaving only one person aged 18 or over in the property; or
  • if someone has moved in and there is now more than one person aged 18 or over in the household; or
  • you are applying for or are subject to:
    • an administration order
    • bankruptcy; or
    • an individual voluntary arrangement; or
    • a debt relief order.

Website feedback

What do you think of this page?