Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Learning disability services

An easy to read page about services for adults with a learning disability
This page tells you what will happen if you (or someone you know) has a Learning Disability and think you need help.
To get help, you must be 18 years old or older.

What is a learning disability?

A learning disability is:

  • when you find it difficult to understand new or complicated information or learn new skills

  • when you find it difficult to cope on your own, and

  • something that started before you were an adult, and had a lasting effect on your development.


First of all, you will need an assessment from a social worker to see if we can help.

In the assessment, the social worker will need to find out some information about you, talk to you about it and work out what services we might offer you.

Carer's assessment

If you have a carer we will offer them a carers’ assessment.

Please note that having an assessment does not always mean we will give you a service.

What happens next?

If we cannot offer you a service, we will tell you about other people who might be able to help, like health services and other organisations.

If we can offer you a service, we will:

  • talk with you and your carers about your needs, and

  • try to find the help you need or give you the money (in your personal budget) to buy the support you need.

Your personal budget

Your personal budget is the money we can give you if you have had an assessment that shows you need social care support.

For more information on personal budgets visit the web page on My Care in Birmingham.

What sort of help can I get?

Please see the next web page What sort of help can I get? for more information about the types of help you can get from Learning Disability Services.

Contact us

Please contact us if you would like more information.

Phone: 0121 303 1234

Other pages

Click on the links below to go to other pages on this website

What sort of help can I get?
This easy to read page has more information about the help that you can get from Learning Disability Services

Person centred planning
An easy to read page about support when you need to make choices and changes in your life


If you would like any of our leaflets, forms or other documents in another language, in Braille, in large print or on audio tape, MP3 or CD, please phone the Adults and Communities Directorate Communications team on 0121 464 3123. All our adult social care leaflets, forms and documents are free in any format.

Comment on this page

Please send us your feedback about this web page.