Key statistics: Population
Here you will find key information, documents and reports containing results from the 2011 Census for Birmingham. If you want to view Census information for areas smaller than wards, you can do this using Local View.
- Birmingham’s population is estimated at 1,073,045. This is an increase of around 96,000 (9.8%) since the 2001 Census
- There were around 410,000 households since 2011, this is up 5% since 2001
- The average household size in Birmingham was 2.54 in 2011, compared with 2.46 in 2001
- The most marked growth is seen in the 20 to 24 and 25 to 29 age groups, with increases of with increases of 26.5% and 21.5% respectively. This age group is greatly influenced by student movements and international migration.
- The number of people age 90 and over has increased by 18.5% (1,000), with very elderly men showing an increase of 54.5% (600).