Soho Road Local Action Plan
Soho Road shopping centre lies at the heart of the Handsworth district of Birmingham approximately 4 kilometres north west of the City Centre. Soho Road is well-known, both locally and much further afield, for the wide range of goods serving Asian and African-Caribbean communities in particular.
The Soho Road Local Action Plan was adopted as Supplementary Planning Guidance in January 1999 and seeks to:
- consolidate and build on the role of the shopping centre, from Ivy Road in the east to Booth Street in the west, to provide a wide range of community activities and services
- improve public areas to make Soho Road a 'pedestrian friendly' street
- improve community safety
- encourage 'living over the shop'
- promote the tourism potential of the area, and
- improve shops fronts and commercial premises.
Since the Plan was adopted, £10 million worth of public and private sector investment programmes have already delivered many of these improvements.
Please note that the boundary of the shopping centre has been redefined in the Shopping and Local Centres SPD, adopted in March 2012.
We are also preparing a Regeneration Framework for the wider A41 Corridor within which Soho Road is situated. We will be asking for your views on that document during 2012.
A copy of the Soho Road Local Action Plan is below.
Document Status : Statutory Policy Document - Adopted January 1999
Last Updated : 16th March 2012