Birmingham Register Office
Telephone: 0121 675 1000
Outside UK: (+) 44 121 675 1000
You will need to make an appointment to register a birth
You will need to make an appointment to register a death
You will need to make an appointment to give notice of marriage
You will need to make an appointment to give notice of civil partnership
We will offer a priority same day service for copy certificates issued the same day you apply.
This page can be referred to as : www.birmingham.gov.uk/registeroffice
The registration service is responsible for:
- the registration of births, marriages and deaths
- the legal preliminaries to marriages other than those in the Church of England
- the arranging and conducting of civil marriage ceremonies at the Register Office Ceremonies Suite and at Approved Premises
- the issuing of certified copies of register entries held at the Register Office
- the legal preliminaries to and registration of civil partnerships
Information regarding registering a birth or death and arranging a marriage or civil partnership is given within the following pages. If you need further advice, please contact the Register Office.
The registers of births, marriages and deaths which have occurred in Birmingham since July 1837 are, with a few exceptions, held at the Register Office.
The original records of births, marriages and deaths are not open to the public but certified copies of individual register entries or certificates are available on application to the Register Office. The application must provide sufficient information to allow a search to be made and to allow any entry found to be identified as the correct one. Fees are charged for certified copies from register entries
Genealogy: It is appreciated that, in some cases, sufficient information may not be known and that the certificate is required to establish the details. Please seek further advice from the Register Office as it may be possible to carry out a search.