Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Funeral Expenses Payment

If you have responsibility for the cost of a funeral then you can apply for help from the Social Fund. You must claim within three months of the date of death. A claim form SF200 is available from Benefit Agency or Funeral Directors.

Either you or your partner must be getting one of the following before applying for a funeral payment:

  • Income Support or income based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Working Families Tax Credit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Disabled Persons Tax Credit

Any savings you have over £500 (or £1,000 if you or your partner are aged over 60) will be taken into account. Any money from funeral payment savings policies will also be taken into account by the Benefit Agency. The funeral must take place in this country. The payment may not cover the full cost of the funeral. Check with your Neighbourhood Office or the Benefit Agency for details.

Funeral Arrangements
Registering a Death