Welcome to the Birmingham Construction Partnership
The Birmingham Construction Partnership, or BCP, was launched in 2004 to deliver Birmingham City Council £500 million capital building programme through to 2009. Due to its continuing success the partnership has been extended to 2011.
The partnership was established to allow the Council to move away from awarding contracts simply to the lowest bidder, which often led to inefficiencies, budget overruns and missed deadlines. This unique partnership creates jobs and boosts the local economy, as well changing the lives of the people of Birmingham through quality building.
Who is part of the BCP?
This successful partnership led by Urban Design team brings together local contractors G F Tomlinson Birmingham Limited, Thomas Vale Construction Plc and Wates Group to deliver every council building project valued over £100,000.
Right from the start we intended the Birmingham Construction Partnership to be innovative and to deliver genuine value for money. Not just for us, but also for our clients and end users (the people and communities who live, work or play in the buildings we create and maintain).
Our stated aims include:
- Putting public and private sector skills together to deliver enhanced services to our customers.
- Achieving right first time services.
- Better work predictability. Getting work done on time and to budget, and continuously reducing design, supply and construction times where possible.
- Reducing defects and aiming for zero defects at completion.
- Increased productivity and efficiencies.
- Improved quality.
- Greater end user satisfaction.
- Delivering services in accordance with the principles of best value.
- Developing opportunities locally for local businesses and for young people to secure employment and training, in order to enhance workforce profiles from underrepresented groups in the community.
- Promoting sustainability and reducing carbon footprint.
Better value for money
Before the Birmingham Construction Partnership (BCP) was formed, capital works programmes were secured through the lowest price tendering practices typical of the construction industry. These practices tend to encourage adversarial working relationships between client and contractor rather than promote openness, collaboration and collective problem solving. Often, also, the lowest priced tenders did not actually reflect the real costs of a project on completion.
Greater knowledge and expertise earlier in the project, better choice and informed decision-making
The BCP approach is about developing long-term relationships of trust with clients. The tendering process is not required and so contractors can be involved from the earliest opportunity on all projects. Clients benefit from the partnership contractors knowledge, their designers and supply chains from day one. Our contractors are able to give a truer feel for actual costs and opportunities on projects and so clients can make more informed choices.
Partnering with UsWe believe that partnership is key to every working relationship, from client to contractor, and aim to build long term-established relationships. For more information on the BCP and how we can work with you and your building project please contact:
0121 303 7816
For more information on our partners see the links below:
Thomas Vale Construction visit www.thomasvale.com
GF Tomlinson Building Limited www.gftomlinson.co.uk
Wates Construction www.wates.co.uk