Street Naming and Numbering
This explains the Importance of Street Naming and Numbering.
Who Should Apply
- Individuals or developers who are either constructing new homes, commercial or industrial premises or undertaking conversions to existing buildings that will result in the creation of new premises.
- Individuals or developers wishing to change the name or number of a property
When to Apply
Once you've received planning permission and are certain of the final layout of the proposed development you should apply for addresses during the very early stages of construction and definitely before it is substantially complete. Utility companies will not install services without an official postal address and postcode.
Marketing names do not need to be approved and do not form part of the address unless specifically included in the postal address provided by the Council.
Complete and submit our online application form:
The form will ask you for information such as :
- your contact name and details
- location plan and type of development
- 2 copies of the development layout
- official name of the development
- planning permission approval number
- suggested new street names when relevant – we have a list of approved names for your consideration
- Type of development or confirmation of existing address
suggested new street names when relevant (or you can choose from our a list of approved names for your consideration
When we review your form, and send you a payment request by e-mail. This e-mail will contain your Reference Number, Our BACS details for you to make your payment to. There will also be the option of paying by cheque. We may also need to ask for additional information when necessary to process a request.
How long will it take
We always aim to deliver a high quality, efficient service and will process applications as quickly as possible. The postcode will be obtained from Royal Mail on your behalf and issued to interested parties.
If your request involves the naming of new streets, due to the consultation process with Local ward Councillors, under normal circumstances we aim to allocate a postal address within 4 months from receipt of a valid application. A choice from our list of already approved suggestions list of already approved suggestions will considerably reduce the time taken to issue an address, usually to within 6 weeks.
Where only numbering of properties is required, the process can normally be completed in one month.
Street Naming and Numbering Charges
Number of Properties
Renumbering due to a change of layout
Renaming of an existing property or individual units within
Renaming of an existing street
- Application Form - Addressing for Building Conversions
- Application Form - Change of Name or Registering an Address
- Application Form - New Street Naming and Numbering
- Introduction to Street Naming and Numbering
- Importance of Street Naming and Numbering
- Who Should Apply
- When to Apply
- How to Apply
- How long it will take
- Proposals to name a new road
- Naming a House
- Renaming or numbering of an existing Street
- Street Nameplates