Street Naming and Numbering
Who Should Apply
- Individuals or developers who are either constructing new homes, commercial or industrial premises or undertaking conversions to existing buildings that will result in the creation of new premises.
- Individuals or developers wishing to change the name or number of a property
When to Apply
Once you've received planning permission and are certain of the final layout of the proposed development you should apply for addresses during the very early stages of construction and definitely before it is substantially complete. Utility companies will not install services without an official postal address and postcode.
Marketing names do not need to be approved and do not form part of the address unless specifically included in the postal address provided by the Council.
- Download: this application form:
- Then contact the Team. You will need to provide:
- your contact name and details
- location plan and type of development
- official name of the development
- planning permission approval number
- suggested new street names when relevant – we have a list of approved names for your consideration
- 2 copies of the development layout
We may ask for additional information when necessary to process a request. Digital copies of the form and accompanying plans are welcomed. Please send by e-mail toLLPG@birmingham.gov.uk
We always aim to deliver a high quality, efficient service. The postcode will be obtained from Royal Mail on your behalf and issued to interested parties.
If your request involves the naming of new streets, due to the consultation process with Local ward Councillors, under normal circumstances we aim to allocate a postal address within 4 months from receipt of a valid application. You are invited to choose street names from a list of already approved suggestions hich are the result of a competition. This will considerably reduce the time taken to issue an address.
Where only numbering of properties is required, the process can normally be completed in one month..
|Number of properties||Fee|
|Five properties or less in an existing road||£130.00|
|Between 6 and 25 properties in an existing road||£330.00|
|Between 26 and 75 properties in an existing road||£525.00|
|76 properties or more in an existing road||£790.00|
|Naming of new road(s) and allocation of up to 25 numbers||£460.00|
1 Lancaster Circus Queensway
Email Address: email@example.com
Telephone Number: 0121 675 3618
- Introduction to Street Naming and Numbering
- Importance of Street Naming and Numbering
- Proposals to name a new road
- Naming a house
- Renaming or numbering of an existing Street
- Street name plates
For more information about Street Naming and Numbering, please see the following pages: