Street Naming and Numbering
This explains the Importance of Street Naming and Numbering.
The Importance of Street Naming and Numbering
Image Copyright: Birmingham City Council. (Image recreated by Y Coleman)
The appropriate naming and numbering of streets and buildings is vitally important to ensure that properties can be located quickly and efficiently by emergency and delivery services etc. Developers also need official street names and numbers to order connection to utilities. In order to prevent occupiers experiencing problems in obtaining goods and services from a variety of sources, for example applying for a credit card or obtaining goods by mail order, it is therefore essential that we allocate all new addresses.
All new addresses created through the Street Naming and Numbering process are included on our Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG) and comply with British Standard 7666. All LLPGs feed into the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG), which is the definitive addressing database of land and property in England and Wales.
- Application Form - Addressing for Building Conversions
- Application Form - Change of Name or Registering an Address
- Application Form - New Street Naming and Numbering
- Introduction to Street Naming and Numbering
- Importance of Street Naming and Numbering
- Who Should Apply
- When to Apply
- How to Apply
- How long it will take
- Proposals to name a new road
- Naming a House
- Renaming or numbering of an existing Street
- Street Nameplates