Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Family and Friends Care

Most children live with their parents, but some are cared for by other relatives such as grandparents, or by friends. This is called "family and friends care". It is often a private arrangement in the family, but the court can make an order to say that the child will live with someone who is not their parent.

Relatives and friends sometimes agree to look after a child for a short time in an emergency but then find that the child can’t go back to live with their parents. They may feel that they can’t care for the child for a longer time without help. This policy sets out the help that Birmingham City Council may offer them.