Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Due to essential maintenance some of our forms will be unavailable on Saturday 20th December 2014 between 8.00am and 8.00pm. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



What can I use my direct payment for?

What can I use my direct payment for?

If we have assessed you and you are getting a direct payment, the money we give you is to pay for your assessed needs.

What I can use my direct payment for

You can use your direct payment money to pay for:

  • care and support to help you live in your own home
  • a personal assistant to help you do different activities and
  • a one-off payment for something specific, for example a membership fee, or enrolling on an adult education course.

What I cannot use my direct payment for

Please note that you cannot use a direct payment to pay for:

  • a close relative, partner or anyone else who lives with you to help you
  • long-term care in a care home or housing costs
  • household bills, for example gas or electricity bills
  • services from the council such as occupational-therapy equipment
  • anything that doesn’t meet your assessed needs
  • food and drink, including meals you have delivered to your home
  • health needs, including treatment from the NHS or
  • anything illegal, including gambling.

Back to Direct payments

Other pages

Who can get a direct payment?

Employing a personal assistant

Keeping Financial Records

Quarterly return declaration

Direct payments Factsheets

Information and support from other organisations

Direct Payments Group on Facebook for users to join and give their views