Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Substance Misuse Recovery Service

Who are we?

We are the service in Birmingham City Council that supports adults to stop misusing alcohol or drugs, through a residential rehabilitation and after care programme.

What do we do?

If you have had an assessment and are eligible for a service from us, we will work with you to help you stop misusing alcohol or drugs. To find out how to get an assessment and if you are eligible for a service from us, please contact us direct.

We can offer you a range of services that support you to stay abstinent (continuing not to misuse alcohol or drugs). This may include:

  • relapse prevention (ways to help you stop returning to drug or alcohol misuse)
  • recovery programmes (helping you get back to being abstinent, if you return to drug or alcohol misuse).

We will talk with you to agree what to include in your Support Plan. Your Support Plan will have details of your residential rehabilitation programme and your after-care plan.

Residential rehabilitation programme

A residential rehabilitation programme means you living in an in-patient hospital treatment unit, usually in Birmingham.

The aim of the rehabilitation programme is to help you look at and understand the reasons you are misusing alcohol or drugs, and learn how to manage your life without alcohol or drug misuse. The programme will include 'one-to-one' individual counselling, group discussions and other kinds of therapy to support you.

After care plan

Your after care plan has details of the support you need after you leave the residential rehabilitation programme. This could include:

Who is our service for?

Our service is for adults in Birmingham who are over 18 and under 65 and who want to stop misusing alcohol or drugs. We may be able to offer you a service if you are under 18 or over 65, but this depends on your assessed needs.

How do you get the service?

If you think you, or someone you care for, needs support to stop misusing alcohol or drugs, please contact us about getting an assessment.

You can phone us between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday. Ask to speak to the duty worker.

How much does the service cost?

You may have to pay some or all of the cost of our service. If you do have to pay, the amount depends on your savings, income or benefits.

More information and contact details

For more information about our service and getting an assessment, please contact us.

Substance Misuse Recovery Service
23, Summer Hill Terrace
B1 3RA

Phone: 0121 675 8007, between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday

Fax: 0121 675 8008

Email: rraactteam@birmingham.gov.uk

Back to 'What do we do?'

Other pages

Adult social care services

Other websites

Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous