Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



How to Make a Complaint About a Skip Placed on the Public Highway


If you have a complaint or concern about the location or safety of a skip on the highway (public road/pavement) or believe the skip has not been permitted, please email us at skips@birmingham.gov.uk

Essential Information
  • Please provide as much of the following information as possible in your email:

    • Location of skip (postcde, street name)
    • Skip company name and or markings which will help us identify who the skip belongs to (company name should be on the side of skip)
    • Details of the complaint/comment including specific address details that might help us locate the skip
    • Attachments i.e. photographs

    If you provide your contact details, we may contact you for more information or to update you on the progress of your complaint/comment.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • Birmingham City Council is unable to take any action. We advise customers to have their rubbish ready to load into the skip, and arrange for it to be on site for the shortest time possible to stop others using it.

    • No. Skips placed by a registered skip operator with no permit will have a retrospective permit issued at current costs to them. Non registered skip operators who place a skip on the highway (public road) will be given a choice of registering and paying for a retrospective skip permit or legal action taken against them in a magistrates court.

    • 7 days from the date of issue.

    • No, you will be required to apply for a new permit.

    • This is dependent on the traffic sensitivity of the highway and any potential clashes with other street work activities.

    • Only registered skip operators can apply for a skip permit. Skip operators must apply online.

    • Yes. If you do not have access to the internet you can go to your local Library who provide free internet access.

    • Birmingham City Council may take out enforcement action against the skip operator under the Highways Act 1980.

    • £13 for seven days, terms and conditions apply.