Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

General Planning Information

For general information about Planning Application and related matters, please see the details below.

Essential Information

  • Find a list of reliable builders here. More advice is available on our Home Improvement pages or you can call 0121 303 1116 or email homeworks@birmingham.gov.uk. You can also find help at www.trustmark.org.uk.

    List of Specialist Contractors, Suppliers and Architects dealing with historic buildings is also available.

  • The Unitary Development Plan (UDP) is part of the statutory development plan for Birmingham. It contains policies and proposals that guide development and the use of land in Birmingham up to 2011. Until September 2004, every metropolitan authority was required to prepare such a plan for the whole of its area, and to keep it up-to-date.

    In September 2004, a new planning system came into effect. Under the new system, we are required to maintain a Local Development Framework (LDF), containing a range of different plans, including existing plans such as the UDP.

  • You may need planning permission to change the use of your property, for example from a shop to an office or from a house to bedsits. Changes of use permitted development relaxed in May 2013. These changes of use are subject to the neighbourhood consultation scheme.

    All of these site specific requests should be submitted in writing.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • If you think the land may be owned by the Council contact Council Property Records on 0121 303 3940.

      If you think the land is privately owned, you can contact the Land Registry.

    • Planning permission is mainly concerned with the site layout, external design and the effect of the development on the environment and neighbouring properties.

      The Building Regulations are concerned with the actual construction process for both internal and external alterations, and involves regular site inspections whilst the works are in progress. This includes checking the structural stability, fire precautions and means of escape, weather resistance, energy conservation, sound insulation, access and facilities for disabled people.

      Some (though not all) types of works may require both approvals, and some may need one or the other. Both are completely independent of each other.

    • If you haven't been able to find the information that you need then the link below will take you to a form that you can use to ask us further questions.

      Service Specific Enquiry